Postcards from Asia

A weblog with updates of my Asian travels and studies. I invite East West Center fellows, GPC colleagues, and other visitors to post on topics of interest in Asian studies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dept. of Humanities, Georgia Perimeter College, Atlanta GA, United States

Tuesday, June 19, 2007


GPC in China--Nanjing by Night, Part I: Friends of mine know I'm a fan of the Rumanian emigre photographer Brassai, who shot night scenes of Paris in the '30's. Last night came the biggest rain we've had since arriving in Nanjing. I'm a bit of a night-owl and couldn't resist going out to try and snap a few shots of Nanjing's glistening streets. The little cobblestone alleyway in the photo to the left isn't as foreboding as it looks. It's just around the corner from my dorm and a stone's throw from Ninghai Road that runs in front of our campus. At 1am I was wrestling a tripod, fiddling with shutter speeds, doing manual focus in the half-dark, fighting foggy lenses, and dodging the occasional lone midnight motor scooter rider until I got the shot that I liked. Wherever you are out there, Brassai, are you proud of me? (Photos on this blog are clickable if you wish to view them in a large format).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home